Generation-Edge.info Forum
Generation-Edge.info Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Members Online
None

All Forums
 Main Discussion Forums
 General Electrical
 Need Blinker Mod How-To
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

4.0XLT

Never
Neverland
USA

93 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit 4.0XLT's Homepage Send 4.0XLT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one from the old site that makes the front marker lights blink with the turn signal. Please post it. Thanks!

2001 XLT 4x4

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  7:21:21 PM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fairly straight forward actually. You'll need a couple of insulated "T" connectors and some male and female insulated spade connectors, along with a foot or two of 18 gage wire. All should be available at Radio Shack or equivalent.

The pictures are my '04 but if memory serves the '01's use the same color coding. Start by removing the entire headlight bucket on the driver side. Pull up on the tabs indicated and out it comes. Some models have a cover plate over this area that has to be removed.

Remove the headlight and the turn/park sockets and get the lens out of the way (not pictured). Remove the corner assembly and pull the socket out of it (again, not pictured).

The mod consists of splicing an 18 ga. jumper into the green/white wire in the turn socket.

This jumper is then connected to the black wire at the corner. Make sure that you connect to the black wire at the corner, not the one going back into the harness.

The passenger side is the same thing except that the color coding on the wire at the turn bulb is white/blue. The corners are both the same.

Couple of notes: You can probably get away with cutting, splicing and tape, but the connectors shown are a good way to do it and will hold up fairly well over the long run. Soldering things would be even better. The extra connector at the corner is not required. I'm real strange and decided to put it in in case I ever wanted to return to the good old days of stock lighting. It is as simple as unplugging the jumper from the turn signal and plugging back into the original ground.

The following link gives a pretty good explanation of the theory behind the mod.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html

Good luck. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

'04 Edge SC, 4.0 Auto, 4x4, 4:10 Open Gears

My favorite computer game is "Stump The Spellchecker".

Edited by - Diggr on 07/27/2008 04:35:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

blkofknight

Muskegon
MI
USA

814 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  7:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Send blkofknight an AOL message  Send blkofknight an ICQ Message  Send blkofknight a Yahoo! Message Send blkofknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the how-to Lee, ive been lookin all around tryin to find it as well, I already did mine, but just tryin to show a buddy of mine how to do it [tup] 15 min. top on this project

~Phil~
2005 Dark Shadow Grey FX4 LVL2 R.I.P.

clear corners, taurus emblem, KC light bar-supplied with 150W Kc daylighters and amber/red clearence/turnsignal marker lights, blackleather seats,
window and bug visors, tinted door windows,poineer 260w speakers, reese hitch, extra backup lights

mods to come: OHC
Go to Top of Page

4.0XLT

Never
Neverland
USA

93 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  9:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit 4.0XLT's Homepage Send 4.0XLT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blkofknight

thanks for the how-to Lee
Can you confirm the wire colors for your 2002?

2001 XLT 4x4
Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  9:42:44 PM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got the DVD to give me some info on the '01'. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll have a cig and translate the color codes for you. Back n a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  10:04:20 PM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, thought I had it, but I don't, or rather the DVD don't. Bob W. will almost certainly see this post and be able to offer some information.

Go to Top of Page

blkofknight

Muskegon
MI
USA

814 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  11:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send blkofknight an AOL message  Send blkofknight an ICQ Message  Send blkofknight a Yahoo! Message Send blkofknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's dark outside right now, but ill look at mine tommorrow and confirm what colors I have for my 02

~Phil~
2005 Dark Shadow Grey FX4 LVL2 R.I.P.

clear corners, taurus emblem, KC light bar-supplied with 150W Kc daylighters and amber/red clearence/turnsignal marker lights, blackleather seats,
window and bug visors, tinted door windows,poineer 260w speakers, reese hitch, extra backup lights

mods to come: OHC
Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  09:05:59 AM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally figured out the navigation on the DVD. The diagrams I have show the color coding on the '01 and '02 to be the same as the '04. The wire you want on the driver's side turn bulb is the green with the white trace and the passenger side is white with a blue trace. At the corners it's always the black ground wire you cut.

Go to Top of Page

4.0XLT

Never
Neverland
USA

93 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit 4.0XLT's Homepage Send 4.0XLT a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet, thanks!

2001 XLT 4x4
Go to Top of Page

Stl
Advanced Member

Springfield
Missouri
USA

1801 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stl's Homepage Send Stl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what result do you get when you do this mod?

Bright Red 2005 Ranger Edge Super Cab 4 door

Interior Mods:
FX4 Level II full length console, NUIMAGE AC white overlay, Painted Radio bezel, Painted door sill plates (((XM))) Delphi XpressRc

Exterior Mods:
SilverStar Head Lights, SilverStar Fog Lights, Escape V6 emblems, Painted Diff. cover , VentVisors,Clear Corners, Chrome OEM Nerf Bars, painted tonneau cover, 06' Badges, 20% tint side windows, 5% side/back windows, Street Scene grille, Roush Exhaust,
06' FX4 Level II axle w/4.10 gears

Stereo:
/////Alpine iXA-W407 double din /////Alpine 12 disk changer, 2 /////Alpine 10" subs, /////AlpineType S 6X8 Speakers, 2 /////Alpine 300 Watt Amps

Performance:
Air box mod, K&N cold air intake

Order Site decals
Go to Top of Page

zabeard

CC
Indiana
USA

2606 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit zabeard's Homepage Send zabeard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
your corner markers flash with the turn signal.
Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  1:00:37 PM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's kind of cool. Specificaly the corner and the turn flash together if the parking/headlamps are off. If the parking/headlights are on, the corner and the turn alternate. One advantage to the mod is that it increases the visibility of the turn signal from the side.

Now, if someone can explain to me why, I will die a happy man!

Go to Top of Page

rwenzing
Technical Expert

Southeast
MI
USA

1886 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  2:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit rwenzing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diggr

It's kind of cool. Specificaly the corner and the turn flash together if the parking/headlamps are off. If the parking/headlights are on, the corner and the turn alternate. One advantage to the mod is that it increases the visibility of the turn signal from the side.

Now, if someone can explain to me why, I will die a happy man!

No need for anything that drastic! Here is the explanation from Daniel Stern Lighting:
quote:
Instead of the sidemarkers being wired across parking lamp feed and ground, they're wired across parking lamp feed and turn signal feed.

The side marker bulb socket is isolated from ground, and one bulb lead goes to the running lamp positive circuit. The other lead is tied into the turn signal positive lead.

When the parking lights are on and the turn signal off, it grounds throught the turn signal filament and illuminates the marker lamp. When the turn signal flashes, it interrupts the ground and the marker will flash. When the running lights are off, the process is reversed, with the ground being through the filaments of the running light circuit, and the marker will flash in sync with the turn signal instead of alternately.

Bob
2003 XLT S/C, FX4 Level II, Silver Frost
5.0L V8, 4R70W automatic, BW4406 manual transfer case
Bullitt Mustang pedals, Real Oil Pressure Gauge w/low pressure alert
Door chime disable pushbutton, Boost, fuel Pressure, A/F and EGT gauges
Torque Monster Headers, True duals, Magnaflow DI/DO, Thunderbolt air box
Taurus Keypad Entry, Lock rods replaced by red/green bipolar lock status LEDs
Explorer Ltd. steering wheel controls for EATC/AM/FM/Tape/CD/CD Changer, Cruise
Mountaineer EATC Climate Control with compressor disable, Explorer overhead console
Probe underhood light, Foglamp mod, Blinker mod, CHMSL blinkers, Mustang dome light
Autolamps, Autodimming mirror, Auto down passenger window, Explorer trip computer
Explorer Mach dual media, Speed Sensitive Volume, Lightning 6-disc remote changer
Rockford Fosgate Amp, Cerwin Vega and Pioneer 6x8 speakers, Dynamat Extreme
AMP Research BedXtender, Rhino Linings spray-in bedliner, FoMoCo soft tonneau
Class III Draw-Tite hitch, dual rear LII tow hooks, Pop & Lock power tailgate lock
06 fender emblems, 06 tails, Blacked out headlights, Blacked out 06 corners
James Duff traction bars, Sway bar disconnects, OEM Edge rear sway bar
Explorer IRS finned diff cover, Cadillac/Mustang rear disc brakes
Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Aussie locker front, Torsen rear

2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab beater, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid
Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  7:43:33 PM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the part about why they alternate when the running lamps are on. When the turn come on, you have +12 VDC on both leads to the corner bulb, and therefore 0 volts across the filament.

What I'm trying to figure out is the grounding thruogh the second filament part. Why don't they both light up half way?

A controls engineer friend at work told me ...****, that's just the way it works. I guess I'm reverting to my childhood, because I want to know "Why daddy?"

Go to Top of Page

rwenzing
Technical Expert

Southeast
MI
USA

1886 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit rwenzing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diggr

What I'm trying to figure out is the grounding thruogh the second filament part. Why don't they both light up half way?

Actually, they do both light part way but not half way.

Normally, in the factory wiring, the sidemarker filament and the running light filament are wired in parallel and both have close to the charging system voltage across them.

The larger bulb's filaments are lower resistance and the smaller bulb is higher resistance. When wired in the stock parallel arrangement, the voltage drop is the same but the current flow is higher in the larger bulb with the lower resistance.

When the bulb filaments are placed in series as they are in this mod, the voltage drop is split between the two bulbs based on the resistance of their filaments. The voltage drop across the small, higher resistance bulb is higher than across the larger bulb. That means that the small bulb will light fairly bright but the large bulb will be dim.

In the case of the running light filament, its resistance is about 1/2 of the resistance of the marker light, so its voltage drop in series is about 1/3 of the total available. The turn signal filament resistance is closer to 1/10 the resistance of the side marker filament, making its voltage drop 1/11 of the total available, leaving 10/11 for the sidemarker (9% vs 91%).

Let's assume a potential of 13v available at the bulbs. When the sidemarker is powered from the running light circuit and grounding through the blinker filament, it has about 91% of the available voltage drop (0.91 x 13 = 11.83v) but the blinker filament has 9% (.09 x 13 = 1.17v). Even though there is current flow through the blinker filament, 1.17v will hardly make it glow. This is the case when the running lights are on and the side marker blinks opposite the front turn signal.

The split is better when powered from the blinker circuit and grounded through the running light filament. The running light gets about 33% of the voltage drop or 4.29v while the sidemarker gets 8.71v. So the running light filament will light weakly when the sidemarker blinker is powered, although it will go unnoticed beside the brighter blinker filament. This is the situation with the running lights off and the sidemarker blinking in sync with the front turn signal.

[For this discussion, I've assumed a potential of 13v available at the bulbs. However, a similar comparison would be made if it were 12v or 14v.]

Bob
2003 XLT S/C, FX4 Level II, Silver Frost
5.0L V8, 4R70W automatic, BW4406 manual transfer case
Bullitt Mustang pedals, Real Oil Pressure Gauge w/low pressure alert
Door chime disable pushbutton, Boost, fuel Pressure, A/F and EGT gauges
Torque Monster Headers, True duals, Magnaflow DI/DO, Thunderbolt air box
Taurus Keypad Entry, Lock rods replaced by red/green bipolar lock status LEDs
Explorer Ltd. steering wheel controls for EATC/AM/FM/Tape/CD/CD Changer, Cruise
Mountaineer EATC Climate Control with compressor disable, Explorer overhead console
Probe underhood light, Foglamp mod, Blinker mod, CHMSL blinkers, Mustang dome light
Autolamps, Autodimming mirror, Auto down passenger window, Explorer trip computer
Explorer Mach dual media, Speed Sensitive Volume, Lightning 6-disc remote changer
Rockford Fosgate Amp, Cerwin Vega and Pioneer 6x8 speakers, Dynamat Extreme
AMP Research BedXtender, Rhino Linings spray-in bedliner, FoMoCo soft tonneau
Class III Draw-Tite hitch, dual rear LII tow hooks, Pop & Lock power tailgate lock
06 fender emblems, 06 tails, Blacked out headlights, Blacked out 06 corners
James Duff traction bars, Sway bar disconnects, OEM Edge rear sway bar
Explorer IRS finned diff cover, Cadillac/Mustang rear disc brakes
Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Aussie locker front, Torsen rear

2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab beater, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid

Edited by - rwenzing on 11/05/2007 08:37:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  06:17:30 AM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Bob. Makes sense now.

Go to Top of Page

pastfinder

Washington
DC
USA

2872 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile Send pastfinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diggr for the photos. I just did this mod and it was easy! I like the idea of the spade connectors, so I opted for that.

Formerly of a 1999 Ranger XLT, then a 2002 Edge, and now a 2010 Ranger XLT
Go to Top of Page

crackrock

Caldwell
NJ
USA

108 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  4:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit crackrock's Homepage  Send crackrock an AOL message Send crackrock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool mod, would there be anything wrong with soldering and shrink wrapping it instead of using the connectors?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=35760261

'04 xlt 4.0 sohc 5spd 4wd 4.10 open

mods: wire wheel/ rustoleum rust proofing, t-bar crank, pioneer 5800 w/ipod interface, removed valence, mossy oak seat covers, modded cobra 29 cb with 4 foot firestik II, dumped exhaust, clear corners with pink bulbs,

soon to come: bilstein hd shocks, 15' wheels, 32'tires
Go to Top of Page

440volt
Administrator

Port Orchard
Washington
USA

9345 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  5:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 440volt's Homepage Send 440volt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crackrock

cool mod, would there be anything wrong with soldering and shrink wrapping it instead of using the connectors?

No there wouldn't be anything wrong, in fact that would be a better electrical connection. You many want to just twist the wires together and leave them bare (but not touching anything!) to test your connections before you solder.
Because of where the connections are, corrosion can become a problem down the road so make sure you use the right size heat shrink and cut it long enough to extend past the connection and any bare wire by 1/2 to 3/4 inch on either side. That should keep most moisture out.

Ken

Retired and waiting
Go to Top of Page

Diggr
Advanced Member

East Rochester
NY
USA

1132 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  5:36:56 PM  Show Profile Send Diggr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crackrock

Absolutely not! That approach is the best way to go at it in that it will last the longest. I went with the spade connectors because I hate to solder, there isn't a lot of room at the work site, and I like being able to undo the mod if required. At the top of the list is that I'm into instant gratification and crimp connectors are a whole lot quicker than soldering.

Go to Top of Page

AlphaQLater
Starting Member

Los Angeles
ca
USA

2 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  12:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit AlphaQLater's Homepage Send AlphaQLater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just tried to do this mod and made a mistake. I ended up shorting the circuit and thanks to the fuse, thats all I blew. Luckily theres a wal-mart near by open 24hrs. I shall continue the mod tomorrow and should have it done.

2005 Edge SuperCab 2dr
4.0 Auto 5spd. 3.55 L/S
K&N Drop-in
40 series Flowmaster SI/SO dumped down before rear end
A.R.E. Lid
Slyvania Silverstar projector/turn signal lights
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Generation-Edge.info Forum © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05